Last month marked a personal and ministry milestone. 33 years ago, in February of 1981, I travelled to Brussels, Belgium. I went as a volunteer on what was intended to be a short-term missions assignment using my media skills at the headquarters of International Correspondence Institute. Or so I thought. God had a different and better plan for my life!

While I went overseas without a specific life calling to missionary service, I soon learned that I had unique skills needed on the mission field. I came to recognize that media had long-term strategic value and potential in missionary outreach, discipleship and training. And though I never experienced an overt or dramatic “sign” confirming my call, there was a growing sense of God’s purposes and clarity in His direction. It has taken me and my family to assignments living on 3 continents and work on hundreds of missionary media production, training and consultation projects around the world.

Three plus decades after that first missions trip, I’m reminded again of wisdom from the Message version of Proverbs 3:5-6: “Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track.” Good advice!

Being a follower of Jesus goes far beyond a single moment of revelation. It demands a lifestyle of persistent seeking and serving. Whether or not our ministry calling began with a dramatic experience, sustaining it requires both our determined commitment and God's amazing grace. Today, my desire is to continue to trust in God’s purposes, listen to His voice and respond to His direction. What about you?

Audio engineering in Belgium circa 1985

Comment